Sunday, July 29, 2007

Recovery/Regrouping Week

After last weekend’s miserable performance and my general displeasure for riding lately I took most of the week off the bike. I did spend some time researching some new routes not far from home both on and off road. I have several cyclocross adventure routes picked out and plan to start doing some major fire road exploring in the Cherokee National Forest.
I have heard about some MTB trails not far from Knoxville that nobody seems to ride. I picked up a map of that area and have done some research, I’m interested to see why nobody rides there, its got tons of elevation change and that may indicate its just tougher riding than many people are interested in. I plan a recon mission in the next week or two and will report the findings.
Lastly I have been mapping out new road routes from my home. Theirs some pretty desolate riding not far from my home but you have to put in some mileage to get into it. I went out today to try out some new roads, traveling out to Kingston Tennessee and back. I went out hugging the edge of the Tennessee river and had intended to stay near the banks of the Clinch on my way back. The mileage started getting a little out of hand so the return route was a little further south than I had intended. Still I hit some really nice roads in the ride and only hade a couple of wrong turns. Turned out to be an 80+ mile ride.

Ride Log

Friday – commute to work 1:30 trashed my rear wheel on the way home hopping dirt mounds along the greenway. Those wheels had never once been trued in ~13 years of use. The nipples are frozen to the spokes and they are now untrueable.
Sunday – Road ride from home 80.5 miles @ 16.25 mph all solo (no drafting) with stops along the way (I checked the map a million times) it was about a 6:00 ride.

No comments: