Wednesday, July 11, 2007

FOHR meeting

Last night was the quarterly FOHR meeting, we don’t have any pressing issues right now but a few things to note. We plan are planning for two upcoming work days, one in the fall and one in the spring. We have a few things that need to be addressed including:
The continual eroding of the land bridge on Isthmus Trail separating the lake and pond. Not sure what to do reinforce the earth with some sort of seawall or bridge over the wholes and just let is all fall in under the bridge.
There is a corner on West Shore that’s about to fall into the lake that needs some work.
The trench on Scenic Shore that is continuously growing needs a solution. I personally have filled this thing in several times and it keeps getting cleared back out, I suspect an animal (beaver etc…) it at work.
Possible extension or reworking of the bridge system near the beginning of Scenic Shore to alleviate problems that area has during the wet months.
We will try and come up with a plan about what we will work on when and post something up at the Kiosk. I have a couple of trail improvement plans of my own that will most likely be covert operations if anyone wants to go in the woods all ninja style with me some time. There are a few eroded sports that need small reroutes and a few opportunities to interject “Features” in some spots with minimal work and I hope big rewards in fun.

Ride Log:

Tuesday: Pretty chill small group road ride (Monte, Allen, Steve White, and myself) slow and flat with lots of chit chatting along the way about 37 miles and just over two hours.

Wednesday: The normal Weenie Ride got rained out so I went to my old stomping grounds of Louisville/Friendsville/Greenback for a solo road ride. I forget sometimes just how good the road riding is out there, I was passed by less than 20 cars in a three hour ride. The roads are so small and curvy it’s like really fast mountain biking instead of what most folks know as road riding. I hit some pretty serious climbs along the way some where wet and my back tire was spinning out as I climbed. I saw cows, horses, alpacas, goats, lamas, camels, rabbits, squirrels, ferret like things, possums and of course plenty of dogs in the course of the ride. I love to yell at cows as I pass them in the country, I usually tip them off to their future by hollering “Hamburger, T-Bone, Prime Rib, Enchilada, etc…” 52.5 miles, 2:56 ride time, 17.84 av., 44.8 max.

Thursday I hit up the ridge for a short ride before the FOHR meeting. I was dead tired and could barely stay ahead of some joggers on the same lame flat route I was on. One hour ride.

No comments: