

Saturday started out cold, so Tara and I went into town to warm up the child and get some breakfast. Upon our return a big ride was about to start. I made hast, got my act together, and jumped in on the ride not knowing where I was headed. With this type of group, heading into the woods without the details can get you in trouble quick. I quizzed a few folks on the route as we headed up Clawhammer and got several different stories. Turned out to be a great ride we went over Black Mountain to Turkey Pen and down to Mills River. At this point Zack, Jody, Jonathan, Dave, and I decided to head up Mills River instead of the intended Squirrel Gap Route. I don’t think any of us had ever ridden all the way up Mills River before. We knew there were a ton of stream crossings but it was warm and the water was aslow as it was ever going to get. Mills River was really cool, super rocky and technical in sections with about a million logs to hop along the way. I lost count on stream crossings early on but its more than ten and probably less than twenty, nothing over the knee as long as it’s the middle of a drought. I can see that Mills River would ruin your day if it was cold, wet, or you were tired.

Sunday was a slow start for most, Tara got to go up and ride the fun part of Black Mountain for the first time. She had a hoot even if it was just a little riding for the weekend. I did a similar loop but added some on the end, Clawhammer>Maxwell>Black>?>Grassy Road>Sycamore>roads back to White Pine. I had never ridden Sycamore before (thanks for the recommendation Jonathan), for some reason I thought it was a sanitized “easy” trail. I was terribly wrong on that one. Tara and I were the last to leave the campground I guess we didn’t want to leave until all possible fun had been
I never got the camera out all weekend, so no photos of my own, I did plagiarize a couple though from Beefcake and Brad (thanks).
Several good shots are available at:
Biking in a Zen Manner
Beefcake's
Eric's Ride Log
Bad Idea Racing
Brado1 + his Slideshow of the weekend
Pisgah is one of my favorite places to ride but I’m, going to have to get that North Carolina crew to come over the hills and give some Tennessee singletrack a try.
Tara is off to Philadelphia for the week, Noah is going with her and Candie is flying up from Florida to keep Noah while Tara works. It should be a very big adventure for all of them. If the rain holds off maybe I will get to ride allot this week.
Ride log:
8th Rode to SORBA Meeting 1:00
10th Haw Ridge 2:00
11th Haw Ridge 1:30
13th Pisgah 6:00
14th Pisgah 2:00

1 comment:
Brian,
Glad you enjoyed Sycamore. Good stuff! Nice hangin' out with you and the family.
Peace
Post a Comment