Monday, October 22, 2007

Home Alone

I somehow made it through a week of Tara and Noah out of town without wrecking the house or going hungry. They got back late Friday night, sounds like Noah was a great traveler. He got to visit with his grandmother all week and made 2 trips to see his great grandfather too.
I did allot of trail work at the ridge this week. There was a fire out on West Shore Wednesday, Friday night I went in the woods for a ride and to survey the damage. Much like the spring fire, more damage was done to the park driving heavy equipment around to make fire breaks than the actual fire caused. I wound up spending part of my evening pulling downed trees out of the trail, knocking down loose dirt clumps in the trail, laying dead wood in areas to influence rides into the trail bed whether or not it was recognizable, and rock armoring an area where the fire break crossed the trail in a fall line manor.
Saturday and Sunday I did bridge repairs to two dilapidate structures in the park, one on Red Shore and one on Pond Trail. The Red Shore bridge is part of the race course at next week’s HOT 12HR race and though it hasn’t been an issue lately with the drought,all the rain we are supposed to get this week coupled with a few hundred people riding laps through that bog would have been a problem. The bridge on Pond Trail was a little dinky bridge in the bottom of a gully I just replaced the deck on the existing cedar structure. It’s narrower than the old bridge but not as sketchy .
Next week is the annual Haw Ridge 12 hour race it’s a big local party as much as anything and sort of marks the end of the summer riding season. I’m about tired of hanging around the park and look forward to something different for awhile after this weekend. I see some afterwork fixy rides in my future and may even hit up the IC Queen a little. I haven’t ridden Norris in months and have a huge desire to get over there soon.
No pictures this week, look for a mid week video update on Noah though.

Ride log
15th Haw Ridge 3:00
17th West Knox fixy ride 1:00
18th short neighborhood ride :30
19th Haw Ridge 2:00 ride :30 trail work
20th Haw Ridge 1:00 ride 3:00 trail work
21st Haw ridge 2:30 ride 2:00 trail work

No comments: