Sunday, January 27, 2008

Turner

I recently mad a switch back to 26” wheels on the FS bike. I have to say it’s a very welcome change. I took the new ride down to Raccoon Mountain this weekend for a shakedown and was immensely pleased. The fit is perfect and the build choices seem to work together perfectly. It came in a little heavier than I had anticipated but the super solid feel of the bike on the trail is worth the added heft.

The new Turner 5.5Spot

Digg'n the Pink bits I picked up from John Magnusson



On this bike, the only times I missed the big wheels are the times they help compensate for poor skills. Steep climbing on the 29er required nothing but constant motoring whereas the 26” bike requires subtle weight shifts at times to keep everything hooking up just right. Similarly on the 29er you can really weight the front end hopping logs and stuff but the 26er needs a little more care as to where your COG is when planting the front tire. Rolling advantages are practically nil at this type of suspension travel. The high speed stability of the 29er is nice to loose; it’s a crutch that limits the maneuverability needed to really work the trail. The trails at Raccoon Mountain are pretty tight at times, lots of quick moves in rock gardens where a handful if not impossible on the 29er, these same super tight areas I hardly noticed on the new bike.

It sure is fun


All that said I’m still have no interest in 26” hardtails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see a return to cycling instead of politics :)