Monday, August 20, 2007

Long time - No post

No update in a long time, things have been super crazy lately and I just haven’t had the time to mess with the blog. Riding has been pretty light the last few weeks, I just cant tolerate the heat. I often wonder if global warming will force me to move north in the future. I absolutely love Wisconsin in the summer time if the winter would get a bit milder….Anyway, I am officially sick of summer and cant wait for some cool autumn wind to blow our way.

I recently trashed the rear wheel on the commuter bike. The wheels on that bike where ~14 year old road wheels built with super light spokes and I knew they wouldn’t last much longer. I built up a new set of wheels to replace them with, they turned out the swankest $112 wheelset I have ever seen. I had the front hub and most the spokes, and all the nipples laying around the shop, I scored an incredible deal on the rear hub, and I got some solid yet cheep rims to finish the package. I got some good help from the get-go on the build.
This was my fourth set of wheels to build this year and my best yet they went together true, round, with perfectly even tension without any cussing at all.


Front: Machine Tech front hub 3x 32 W/14,15’s and brass nips to a Delgado Cross.
Rear: 105 rear hub 3x36 W/sg14’s and brass nips to a Delgado Cross.

Tara and I went to visit her brother, John, his wife, Amanda, and their children Aubrey, Cecilia, Adelle, and Francis. They recently moved from urban DC life to super rural Ohio. From their house its soybeans and corn as far as the eye can see. It was a good trip I unfortunately forgot to take the camera with us.

This past week Noah got a stomach bug, his first illness ever. Within 12 hours Tara and I both had it too. All three of us were sick as could be for the better part of a week. It was tough sorting out who was taking care of whom in the whole ordeal. It was the sickest I have been in years and I have never seen Tara that Ill before. Hopefully family wide plagues wont visit us again any time soon.

Ok now with the tons of Noah pics for all the family and friends that need a fix.
Sprinkler fun:


Noah cant wait to go Shredding:


Crinkling leaves is his favorite game:


Gotta love that smile:


Next weekend is a mountain bike “race” I signed up for a few weeks ago at the Ocoee. I plan to take it super chill and fight for the “Had the most fun" prize. Lots of Knoxville riders that never go to events at all, have signed up so it should be interesting. I have ridden those trails so much I know every rock, root, and soft corner of the entire 40 miles of singletrack hopfully my skill and familiarity will help make up for my current fitness. I started the year off planning to do the Shenandoah 100 again this year, Tara said there was no way I would have time to prepare and I didn’t believe at the time, I should have listened to her. Noah takes up so much of my time now but I love every minite of it.

Ride log;
August 1st: Haw Ridge 2:00
2nd: Commute to work 1:30
4th: Tannasi with Jeff 3:30 followed by a full river trip, both upper and lower sections of the Ocoee 7:00 t
5th: Haw Ridge 2:30
7th: Road Ride 2:00
8th: Haw Ridge 2:00 Road the Captain and had an interesting ride. I ripped the rear derailleur of the bike somehow. I had a spare hanger with me so I switched it out. The lower cage of the detailer was pretty tweaked but I took it apart and striated it fairly well. Put it all back together and it shifted as good as it ever has. It was kind of neat to repair such a mangled mess back to perfect working order in the woods.
13th: Road Ride W/ Jeff 3:00
14th Greenway/urban, ride I bailed just after the start :30
19th: Infamous West Knox, MTN Biker Road Ride 2:30
20th: Haw Ridge 1:30 hot but fun
***lots of running errands on the commuter bike never make the log but some of my favorite times on the bike these days involve rides around town with shopping bags hanging off my brake hoods half the time.

1 comment:

ExtrmTao said...

Good looking boy you got there 8-)

I am ditching my ultimate plans for the Shenandoah too.

Let's go get it next year.

You should come down for the double beer, oops I mean dare.

Peace