Monday, June 25, 2007

Raccoon Rocks / Possible End of the Weenie Era



I’m not sure how long the Weenie ride has been going on now maybe 4 years? I remember we used to have a big group ride on Wednesday’s and several of us would bring a few post-ride beverages and hang out afterward. Then one time Matt Stegal brought a grill and some hot dogs and Wednesday night have been a throw-down ever since. This past week the inevitable happened that we all have dreaded, the law showed up. With twenty or more people sitting around with coolers full of beverages the law doesn’t think belongs on public land. The officer was there looking for fishing violations but couldn’t help but notice us. She only spoke to one of us, the only ex-police officer in the group. Nobody got in any trouble but we were warned and the weenie ride may never be the same.
Sunday I took a trip down to Raccoon Mountain in Chattanooga. Any southeastern riders that haven’t been should check that place out. It’s some of the most fun trail I have ever ridden. The trail has tons of unique and interesting futures along the way, not just burmed turns, jumps and technical bits but neat ways of following the landscape that are all about working momentum through the trees. The fantastic views off the mountain top were icing on the cake. This place is bound to become a Southeast Classic trail system.
Ride Log:
Wednesday the 20th – Weenie ride at the ridge, rode with a big group of all 29” Single Speeds that eventually whittled down to just Steve and I, 2:00
Thursday the 21st – Commute to work and greenway extravaganza combo ride, 4:00
Saturday the 23rd - Haw Ridge, half FS and half rigid Fixy with Levi 3:00
Sunday the 24th - Raccoon Mountain with Jeff, Bo, Maria, Steve and Rachel, 2:40

No comments: